1134197-rage_preview_3_super

I created a list in August 2010 entitled ‘The Never Ending Console vs. PC Debate.’ The piece detailed my reasons for being a console gamer as opposed to being a PC gamer.  I’m here today to hang my head in shame and let the PC community know that I’ve seen the light. Well, sort of…

I’ve never been one for claiming that a specific gaming platform is superior to the other.  In fact, I feel that the last post was taken slightly out of context, yet I do admit that from the beginning it implied consoles were superior. I’m going to take the three points I mentioned before and discuss them now from my new perspective.

1. Simplicity

Consoles still completely win this.

I custom built my PC using different hardware (with the help of some online research) so that I could save some money and have a better idea of the capabilities of my machine. That was the easy part. In the year that I’ve been gaming on the PC I’ve had to search for and apply so many fixes that I’ve lost count. A recent example comes from I.D. Software’s Rage that refused to play nice with my ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT graphics card.

I spent five or six hours of research and applying fixes to my computer that I could think of or that people across the Internet recommended. Nothing worked and I eventually gave up. To this day I haven’t played the game. Rage wasn’t the first game to give me problems but it was the only one that actually managed to defeat me. Considering the fact that I spent the average lifespan of a modern shooter looking for a solution, it shouldn’t be too surprising that I threw in the towel.

I’m a bit of a tech geek and in some ways I enjoy the occasional problem that my PC throws at me, it keeps things a bit more interesting. Other days though, all I want to do is relax and play a game.

2. Online Gameplay

When I added this list item in last time, I was just looking for something extra to complain about that didn’t really need to be discussed and for that I apologise. The truth is, trying to say that one gaming platform is superior to the other when it comes to online play is like arguing that red is better than blue.

The fact of the matter is that many modern games include matchmaking services for the console and PC which are more or less the same. If anything, the PC gets extra features because of the ability for people to host their own servers and implement additional content. Counter Strike, for example, has a server which I frequent that uses the Gamer Radio plug-in so that I can listen to music whilst being repeatedly shot in the head. Damn, that game has a steep learning curve.

3. The Cost

I’m making a habit of admitting that I was wrong and it’s time to do it again. I was horribly misinformed when it came to arguing cost. I was right in the respect that buying and in some respects maintaining a gaming PC is not cheap. Using some bargain hunting and custom building a PC on my own I spent around £250 ($383) on the hardware then an additional £100 ($153) on peripheral devices. I’m already looking at upgrading my motherboard, graphics card and RAM which could easily run into the price region of £100 – £150. ($153-$235)

Now, here’s the thing I never really took into account when making my argument last time. My PC became the hub for everything: movies, television, games, social networking, music, editing, emails, banking, research and much, much more. Consoles are slowly moving into being more than just gaming machines but are still very far behind.

It only seems right to end this with the sentiments I made last time, “As long as we’re all playing the same great games it doesn’t matter what you choose to play them on. I’m not really saying that either platform is that much better, consoles PC’s are just my personal preference.”

1. Kory Baldwin says:

On a whim I built a gaming PC about a year ago after almost 25 years of console-only gaming. I’m now officially a convert. With mods, shockingly better visuals, cheaper game prices and amazing communities like Steam, I have everything I liked about consoles and more on my PC.

I’m not a hater and still share the love with my PS3, but my Gaming PC is simply a better, faster, more flexible and capable platform.

2. usrev2 says:

meh, I can’t care about PC gaming in serious games like FPS. to much crap can happen, your PC might lag for no reason, you might not be able to run at a certain setting putting you at a disadvantage, your mouse/keyboard might not be as good as rich 12year old jojo2141341 so he can easily kill you before you can change weapons.

mouse keyboard sucks. is it easier to aim? yes, but that isn’t a good thing. even come of the most realistic games out there are absurdly easy to aim with a mouse. and face it, in simple games ( COD, battlefield some others) a keyboard is vastly inferior to a controller.. but you have to use it because without the OP mouse you are at a huge disadvantage.

PC excels in some points though, and i do play on PC.
    Starcraft 2 is amazing, just about every MMO could be garbage on console ( mostly due to no keyboard but whatever)
    some RPGs are great on PC, with the keyboard and mouse you can easily dig through large inventories

in the end.. PC loses for gaming though. just about every good FPS and RPG is better or about the same on console compared to PC.. starcraft 2 and most MMOs can be played on budget PC’s ( my laptop is vastly weaker then my 360, but i can play sc2, eve online, and wow, any decent computer with cheap 6670 can play these games)

I wish they would allow PC mods to be ported to console, it would be the nail in the coffin for most games on PC though.

finally i’l end this long post with this simple idea.
    PC gaming goes in waves, when consoles lifetimes end, PC gaming rises (better graphics, something new, ect) but when next gen comes it will likely die even more.

3. Sergio says:

I Became A PC Gamer In 2011 And Steam and Amazon Sales Just Keep Me Going Modding Is Another Great Thing I Recently Purchased The Stalker Series And Can Update My Graphics I Also Have Issues With Rage And I Have A HD6950

• George says:

I played rage on high 1080p and low aa if i rmbr correctly with e8400 @ 3.6GHz and GTX280 1GB. Everything played at over 45 fps with min at 30. Maybe you are having driver issues?

4. George says:

in all fairness you are trying to play a late 2011 game on a 2007 card that wouldn’t be expected to handle more than counter strike source or other valve games. I believe its in the neighbourhood of the geforce 6/7 series, and I used to have one of those and couldn’t even handle tf2 at 1280×720 on medium settings. And as for simplicity, I think Steam is coming up with an answer to that. From digital downloads to driver check, its becoming more and more simple to purchase, install and optimize/play games on PC.

• The card has been able to handle every game thrown its way so far, although it definately isn’t the best out there. Like I mentioned I’m looking to buy some upgrades soon and the Graphics card is at the top of my list.

I didn’t buy ‘the best’ because to begin within I tried PC gaming as more of an experiment. But like I said, it really won me over.

5. Dirk says:

I gave up PC gaming years ago for most of the reasons listed here. In addition it is the draconian anti-piracy options, always on Internet connection that seems to be required to play a game. I dislike being told what I need to do in order to play a game I purchased. Despite inaccurate EULAs that tell you you’re only buying a license is nonsense. The thing about EULAs is you can’t read them until you open the game and you can’t take the game back if you don’t accept them because there is nothing wrong with the game. Under the First Sale Doctrine you bought the game, it belongs to you, and you can do what you want with it as long as you don’t break the law. Even Microsft provides a way for you to transfer ownership of retail copies of Windows. All you have to do is call them.

• I can definately see where your coming from, especially with the hatred for the invasive anti-piracy measures. It can sometimes feel like the gaming industry is saying ‘Hey, some people stole from us so now we don’t trust anyone. You can use what you paid for but we need to make sure it’s you every time.’

Piracy is a problem but the ways that it keeps getting tackled only harms the vast majority that still supports the game developers by purchasing their products. One of the most recent examples of this is the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) which I plan on discussing next week. Although it looks as though that may not be going through anyway. Lucky for us.

Anyway, I went on a rant. Thanks for commenting :) .